02 October 2006

A Momentus 150th Post

I met the future in-laws. Yup, R's parents.

Sunday started off at 8am for me. I woke up on my own and just couldn't get back to sleep. So I got up, turned on the t.v. and decided to put together a small cabinet that we just hadn't gotten to. We needed the extra storage.

Then finally R. woke up (probably due to the hammering sound around 9am). We sat, had tea, discussed our action plan for the day and then had breakfast. The day before R had seemed like he wanted to do a lot that day to get ready for his parents, but he was a lump for a while. I think the stress of everything had hit. Finally at 11am I told him he had to get ready to run our errands...and he did.

We went to the mall, Brent Cross, to pick up a pair or two of new shoes for me for work (bad shoes from States!), to go to Boots and to pick up moisturizer at the Body Shop. I found two pairs of cute work shoes (one may have to get returned...we'll see), found some makeup I wanted and R. got his yummy smelling moisturizer for his dry bod.

We did this in less than 1 hour and headed home to start lunch for his folks, as well as finish cleaning the house. I was a mad woman - cleaned the bathroom (again), wiped down the kitchen (again), R. vaccuumed a ton and we straightened things up. The flat looked quite lovely by the end. And then I began to make the fajitas! Yup, I was going to introduce them to a bit of Americana (the bit that I like). So sliced up some veg and chicken, poured spice all over them and stir-fried away. Before putting them in the oven for the final cook/keeping warm, I added a touch of salsa so nothing would dry out.

And then we waited.

They showed up precisely at 2pm. And I got a smile from his mum and a gruff hello from his father. We went and sat on the couch for a bit of small talk. As you can suspect, it was awkward! Finally R. suggested that we go and eat (I was starving so happy he did so)...and it got a bit less weird. Things relaxed. And they enjoyed my meal (or at least it seemed like they did). We then went and sat back on the couch and we relaxed. Phew. I actuallly was having some fun. Dad relaxed and we got into a conversation about family. Mum smiled at me a lot. I was even invited to their house this weekend to meet an aunt. They remained in our flat until about 4:30 or so. And smiled at me as they left.

Both R. & I were relieved...and exhausted...happy it went okay!

No comments: