21 February 2007

Becoming British

I don't particularly think I have much of an accent, though once in a while you'll hear something of a Londoner's lilt. I do use mainly British terms. And I like the idea of queueing. Yes...standing in a line.

I've gotten used to the idea of the queue. I like it. There is a certain elegance to this order. And I've now found that I get angry if people don't follow along with queueing.

Paris was definitely one place where people do NOT queue. It's sort of a free for all...push your way onto the metro, push your way off. Waiting is not an option. It's a bit crazy. And very European.

This morning, on my way to getting on the elevator in the tube, there was a crowd gathering in a queue. Most people were doing it right, getting into the appropriate place...but one woman decided she needed to go ahead of me even though I got there earlier. And it pissed me off. Who is she to jump the queue? Doesn't she know that this is the way society works?

It kinda shocked me that I feel this way. R. would be happy because it's just another sign that I'm becoming more and more British. Sigh. But I guess as I'm going to be living here for life, I might as well get used to it.

No comments: