06 February 2007

Rah rah, sis boom bah!

It's "Spirit Week" here at school. Kids are encouraged to dress up in odd ways, there are colour wars going on between the classes and the seniors just see this week as a blow-off in some ways. As a faculty member, I actually enjoy doing the dressing up part a bit. I didn't take part in pajama day (though wore something utterly comfy), but am doing 'sport day' today with R's long sleeve cricket shirt & a pair of track pants. I'm so comfy and enjoy the possibility of having to talk about cricket.

I tried to think back to my high school experience and figure out if we had something similar. I think Homecoming was as close as anything else...but my class was so apathetic that we lost our senior year in all categories of spirit. Sad. Very sad. Even if I wasn't into school all the time, I still got into making a cool float...but I was one of the few.

I think it's tough to support a school. To have 'school spirit'. It's much easier to be all 'rah rah' about a sports team or a fun group. School. Not so much. So it's interesting to see what happens here. And from what I can tell...there's a lot of kids who would have fit in with my high school class. Sigh. It won't stop me though. On twins day, my friend A and I are going as Thelma & Louise. How cool is that?!

No comments: