05 February 2007

Food and Bollywood

I had quite a busy weekend. And fun to boot for the most part.

Friday night, I cooked R. dinner. He's been working like a crazy man for quite a while. He has a project due a week from Tuesday and he's bringing all his work home with him, so I haven't really gotten to spend any quality time with the boy. I made a few small steak and ale pies (pre-made so I didn't have to do much work) and then the actual cooking part - made homemade potato hash browns ala The Barefoot Contessa. I received one of her cookbooks for my wedding shower and it's been GREAT! The recipe was easy to use and to make my own (I added a few different things). And it worked out. Made far too much, but knew I would use the leftovers for breakfast on Sunday.

So we ate our yummy meal, watched a bit of Star Trek (yes, I am marrying a Trekkie) and relaxed a bit together...which we really needed.

Saturday, I played for the Ladies' 1s. The field hockey game was fun to watch as I didn't touch the ball once. Sometimes as a goalie it's nice to not have the pressure...it came close, but our defense was much stronger than their offense. Kinda cool.

Then I rushed home, showered quickly and headed out to meet the 'Bollywood Girls'. This is a group of women from work who have made it a mission to enjoy Indian/Pakistani food, movies and culture. We have gone to Ealing Road to get threading and buy stuff. This time we headed down to Southall for food and a movie. We saw 'Salaam E-Ishq'. It was loosely based on the English movie, 'Love Actually'. I really enjoyed this 3-1/2 hour long movie. We even had an intermission. It was sad, cheesy, romantic and funny - everything you look for in a RomCom Bollywood film. And of course there were hot men in it, which always makes for great watching! ;-)

Sunday morning I reheated the hashbrowns while R made an omelet for us to share. Have to say that the hashbrowns were better the second time round! We relaxed a bit and then I went into cleaning mode while R. worked. I did get him to do a bit of cleaning, but I was on a mission. We were having a friend come over for dinner and the place was a mess. But I got it all done in time when Ali (the woman who introduced us) arrived. R had made a shrimp curry which was very yummy. We ate, joked, drank a few beers...it was a good night. And I was able to show her all my wedding stuff, which made it even more fun!

So, yeah, a good weekend. I needed it. And next weekend will be the beginning of a week long vacation. Woo hoo! Love half-term!

No comments: