28 February 2007

I'm singing in the rain...

When you move to London, one of the things you notice quite quickly is the difference in light. Yes. Light.

In the summer, the sun is out far longer than I ever experienced. You can hang out at a cafe at 9pm, drinking a glass of white wine and still in perfect light, not an artificial one needed to see your partner in crime.

In the winter, you may get up, go to work and then leave work to go home and never see an iota of sunlight. Especially, if like me, you don't have an office with windows.

The winter lack of light can be very depressing to some. Those from sunnier parts of the US tend to really feel it. I didn't necessarily feel a lack of light too much this year as the weather was quite reasonable.

And that's the big difference, as I've talked before, of weather - when you come from Boston, you feel it's almost tropical at times...or at least it's rarely below freezing, which is NOT the case in New England.

Today was the first day that I could come out of my flat and not have to turn on the hall light in order to lock the door. There was enough light from the little window in the next door to let me see. And it made me happy. Spring is on it's way.

I left my building in sun. Glorious sun. Now being England, this was not long lasting. I was swept away by a gale force wind and stunning rain when I got off the train on my way to the tube. It was crazy. Umbrellas were being forced completely inside out. People, like me, were running to get to the tube entrance. It was crazy.

Weather. Not only will you notice it. It will become a big part of your life and conversation once you live in London.

No comments: