11 May 2007

And it begins with just one step

I walked to work today. Don't know exactly what got into me, but maybe something about not working out, getting heavier and the like. I got up early and was getting ready in my normal way, when I just decided..."I'm not going to the gym this afternoon like I planned (going to pub) so why don't I just walk to work?" And so I went and grabbed my sneakers and took off.

It took me about 50 minutes to get here. Not too bad for a 3-mile or so journey. Didn't want to speed walk too much as I'm not hugely into sweating a ton in my work clothing. But I kept up a decent pace.

The beginning of my walk is through a lovely residential area. I like to dream of winning the lottery and being able to buy one of these houses. They are among the few detached houses in the area and have to be worth a bundle. Definitely not something we could afford. I then began to think about our plan to buy a house in London one day. It's something we've talked about a lot and we're going to have some serious conversations this summer. Realistically, we're going to have to move in with R's parents in order to really save up enough money to have for a really good downpayment and for fees. His flat is probably worth about £250,000 or so, and we could probably get a mortgage that would bring us up to about £350-375,000. So with a ton of money saved, we could easily buy a £400,000 or so house. Now this won't be a stunner of a property - most likely it will need work on it. Or it'll be small. But it will be more than the flat we're in now. But to have to live with your in-laws. Not sure how I'd feel about that. I know it's the norm for Indian families (at least in the not so distant past). We'll see. It would help us to achieve this dream.

As I continued my walk, I headed toward the busy Finchley Road. It's a busy road with shops and people all along it. I was able to continue my fantasy by looking at the type of furnishings I'd want in my dream home. And also what I might want for dinner!

Finally, with slightly tired legs, I arrived at work. I feel that I accomplished something already today. Woo hoo!

No comments: