10 May 2007

A teaspoon of this...

I love to cook. I find it utterly facinating to try new recipes with new ingredients. I look online, look in cook books...pretty much anywhere that I can find to get ideas. One of my favourite websites is a blog called Nosheteria, which I'm quite certain I've spoken about before. And then there's BBC Food for those recipes that are so British (though I do find more than that there).

I'm still getting used to the ovens over here - remembering what celcius temp is the same as the farenheit one. It's a challenge. And then our teaspoons are not the same as UK ones. But I rarely ever totally follow recipes, so it's not that big a deal.

Next week I'm cooking for my in-laws for the second time. They both tend to like the same old things over and over again. But I want to do something different. I found a recipe (in one of my old cut-out collections) for a spicy thai prawn pasta. I think they'll like the spice while appreciating how different it is from what they normally cook for themselves.

Have to say that it's a bit nerve wracking to cook for two people who have so much influence in our lives. Crazy. But I'll be all ready to try this new recipe. And if it doesn't work...well I'll be sure to have something in the freezer that could be used in a jiffy.

Tonight I'm going to make another pasta dish. I'm thinking something like a plain spagetti with a tomato based sauce with chorizo or perhaps pancetta. Add a chili or something for a touch of spice. Mmmmm...my mouth is watering just thinking about it. What R. likes is that I try to make new things, while he tends to stick with what he knows. That way we do have old favourites regularly (like curries) and still have something new every so often too. I think we'll probably have something simple on Friday and then perhaps find something good at Borough Market for Saturday night. Can't wait!

No comments: