17 May 2007

Pet Peeve

Everyone I know has at least one 'pet peeve'. I definitely have a few. Wikipedia defines pet peeves as 'a minor annoyance that can instill extreme frustration in an individual. Typically each person has several pet peeves that aggravate her or him more than the average person. Another person may not react as negatively or at all to the same circumstance.'

Most of mine involve driving for some reason...but there you go. My biggest one does revolve around other drivers. Basically, I hate it when other people don't indicate (use their blinkers) to let you know that they are turning. I hate it when I'm driving or when I'm walking (which is all I do over here). Another one is seeing someone talking on a mobile (cell) phone while they are driving. You are putting yourself and others at risk...is it really worth it? But today I came across something even worse...

A guy was in a very small car (I think it was a G-Wiz or Smart Car) with his son. He was at an intersection and attempting to merge. But at the same time, he wasn't talkng on his mobile...no, he was TEXTING...and doing it as he was turning onto a main road. Yes, boys and girls, texting while driving with his young son in the seat next to him while in a tiny vehicle. He was willing to put his son at great risk just to send out a message to someone RIGHT THEN. I wanted a cop to be around to pull him over. I wanted to be able to jump into the car and shake him.

So people - don't pick up you mobile in your car unless it is pulled over and you have the brake on (hand brake to be specific). It's fine if you want to kill or hurt yourself...but don't bring me or any other people into this. It's not our choice. Think.

No comments: