09 May 2007

Journey

I'm doing well. I've left on time from the house with hair looking okay (forgot to buy mousse but the gel seems to be working) and my bag packed for the afternoon hockey session.

I get to the train station three minutes early. Excellent. Time to walk to my favorite spot where I can do some people watching.

A few of the same people are standing next to me. The black woman in her usual white coat, with platinum blond streaky hair; so put together. The couple who look like they love to gossip, glancing around at their fellow passengers and giggling into shoulders. The business man who is reading the Financial Times and looking harried.

Train arrives on time (what luck). But what I see before me isn't good news. It's packed. People try to get in. No one wants to move down the center aisle of the carriage. You could fit so many more passengers on the train, but no one is willing to move. Come on people. So not fair. I'd move for you. Nope, can't get on anywhere. Several others are left behind too.

I'm not willing to wait the 12 minutes for the next train. No way. Cause it'll probably be the same. What a pain. Should I take the bus? Yes. Walk out of the station and see both buses that I'd normally take drive on by. Not another bus for 10 minutes at least. Damn it.

So I begin to walk. Walk toward my job. It's good exercise I think. I'm wearing trousers and comfy shoes. It won't be a problem. And perhaps I'll catch a bus along the way.

I walk by people waiting for the C-11. They glance at me struggling along with my over sized black work bag and my small pink backpack. Perhaps they are thinking, 'Why aren't you waiting for the bus?'.

On I go. When the heck is the next bus coming? How could I have walked a mile without seeing one? And then it comes. I'm only a quarter of a mile or so from the tube, but I jump on it anyway. Darn traffic. I should have kept walking. It would have taken less time. But I finally make it to the tube. It's also crowded but at least I can make it on the carriage. And whisked to work.

Made it. Time to get busy.

No comments: