20 January 2006

An intercultural mess

I can't believe how things can go wrong...so very wrong...so very quickly. Last night I got a text from R. saying that he had to head back to his parents as his dad was feeling quite sick. And I encourage such visits. He returned though crying. He told me that he couldn't give up his parents. That he needed them in his life. But that he still wanted me as well. That his parents won't stand in the way but (he didn't say this, but I inferred) that they still don't approve. They asked him to 'think'...to think about what would happen to our mixed culture kid, how would this affect the family as a whole, what would happen in the future if we divorced...they once again put thoughts into his head that are making him question the future. He says that he's not questioning the future - but he IS. At one point he was ready to ask me to marry him...and he said that in a lot of ways he is ready...but obviously that means in some ways he's not. I'm okay with having questions, but life isn't always full of perfect answers. There AREN'T ANY FUCKING GUARANTEES IN LIFE!!!

So now we're trying to find a therapist to help us. Just what we need right now - an added expense. I can barely save money to pay for our trip this summer...and now it's going to go to counseling. But I guess it will be worth it. Sigh. I'm just so tired of being in limbo. I'm not sure how long I can deal with it.

No comments: