09 June 2006

Footie

Today is the first day of the World Cup. Living in England, you just couldn't miss it. Every few minutes on the news there is some item about it...the papers all have a story on the front cover...England flags (St George's) are flying EVERYWHERE... and I even got a funny email from a friend about it (The Ignorant American's Guide to the World Cup June 6, 2006).

I will be supporting the US as well as England as they are my two homes. I fear that neither will do so hot - the US being in a very competitive section and England having many, many injuries. I don't really care so much about the games, but as I am in the midst of hysteria, I figure I might as well join in. And tonight is the first England game, so I'll be watching that at home with the 'hubby'.

So, check it out. Even if you don't like football (soccer), it's an interesting event - countries coming together to try to beat one another...and their fans trying to beat one another! ;-)

1 comment:

Buffy said...

World Cup Madness was something totally foreign to me when I moved here from the States.

Now I kinda look forward to it and just hope this year's boss is as generous as 2004's. (Office relocated to the pub).

I somehow don't think so.