12 June 2006

Put Your Pencils Down...Now

Do you remember sitting in a classroom, paper in front of you, waiting with pencil in hand, teaching standing over you and you hear the words, "And now...begin."? It's now exam time here and students are finishing up with their tests tomorrow (some last week, some today, but everyone by tomorrow) and after doing some proctoring, boy, have the memories flown back.

French III - knowing that I just hadn't done enough of the work all year long and studying was a futile attempt for that exam. I almost cried that day. I did okay...but barely. Not my most proud moment.

Chemistry - I was a science person at this point. I just 'got' Chem. Not worried in the least. But it was still tough. Happily got an 'A'.

World History - I was going to be fine as long as they didn't ask about capitols. They did. Not pretty.

I'll admit it though...I was a good student. Could have been better if I had put more work in, but I didn't see the point. I did enough to get myself into an Ivy League school through playing field hockey, getting a great SAT 'grade' and doing well enough in most of my classes (French being my only tough grade). I wasn't a partier but loved my sleep (10pm baby...just like now!) and books for fun were much better than textbooks. I think I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe more times than I can remember just so that I wouldn't have to study - if my parents saw me doing something, they never said a word. But I did the work necessary and did well. And yes, my friends hated the fact that I rarely stayed up past 11pm or needed to.

Ah, yes, exam time. The thing we all dreaded...but knew at least that it meant that vacation was only a few more days away.

No comments: