06 June 2006

To Be or What to Be?

I was looking at old pictures of myself the other day. These are pics of myself at age 2+. I had short hair, a genuine smile at all times and usually with some sort of nature or animal. I tried to think back to what I wanted out of life back then and as I grew up. And it's interesting to recall...

Age 4 - I wanted to be a fireman. Or a boy. I was the epitome of a tomboy and all I wanted was to be a boy or at least be able to act like one. My poor mom despaired at ever getting me through a day in a dress without it getting ripped or stained. I lived in knee patched jeans most of my youth.

Age 7 - I decided that being a boy would still be better but realized that I didn't have a chance at that vocation. So instead I was going to be a cowgirl. There are pictures all over of me in my cowgirl suit...evil cap guns included (my parents were anti-gun but my grandma gave these cap guns to me as a pressie and they had a healthy fear of her).

Age 14 - I took my first biology class and decided that my life was meant to be spent on the ocean. I would study whales or plankton or something like that. Yup, an oceanography or marine biologist was the way to go.

Age 15 - I declared in Health class that I neither wanted to get married nor have kids. Didn't see the point in either. Husbands and babies would just slow me down. The husband thing didn't stick once I kissed my first boy (I was a LATE bloomer) but the baby thing is still in debate even at age 37.

Age 18 - Going to college. Still interested in biology as a potential, but I've also taken a psychology course. My dad is a psychologist and taught the course, so one would think I'd be anti-psychology, but I am and will always be daddy's little girl. Hmm...biology or psychology...or both?

Age 20 - need to declare a major in college during your sophomore year. After being placed in advanced biology during my freshman year by my clueless advisor (it was filled with hundreds of pre-med type sophomores) and almost failing it, I decide psychology is the major for me. What to do with it? Who knows...but I love the stuff.

And the interest continued in a variety of different directions. And now in the coolest job ever (which I won't really ever talk about for several reasons), I can happily say that I did check out all sorts of possibilities even in my adult life and so feel good about where I am. And I could still change my mind some day and try something new...even R. will support me in that (which is one reason to change my mind about husbands...he'll never hold me back!).

No comments: